4 On-the-Go Eats You and Your Active Athletes Will Love
Odds are that you’ve already kicked off 2018 with plenty of promises and intentions to carry through the year with a happier, healthier family. Keep your active kids – and yourself – running at your peak with healthy eats, no matter how on the go your life may be.
- Deli wrap-ups – Deli meat has plenty of on-the-go potential and, added bonus, it’s versatile! Simply top it with your choice of dressing or spread and wrap it around your choice of filling. Here are a few favorite combos:
- Turkey + mustard + cheese
- Chicken + low-fat mayo + celery stick
- Ham + cheddar + carrot stick
- Turkey + Greek yogurt cream cheese + apple sticks
2. “Emma & Tom’s Snack Bars”- Emma & Tom’s Snack Bars are the perfect superfood health bars packed with raw nuts and preservative free dried fruit. The bars contain real ingredients and are minimally processed with no added sugar. They are a great pre training or after training snack and are a healthy and delicious way to help look after yourself! You can find these yummy snack bars at Woolworths supermarkets Australia wide.
3. Tapas On-the-Go – You know what they say; variety is the spice of life. Plus, what’s more fun than finger food? Have some fun and mix things up with a healthy bento box of finger foods. Consider low-fat cheese cubes, travel-friendly fruits (such as grapes or strawberries), olives, boiled eggs, raw nuts, hummus and veggies (carrots, celery, cauliflower, cherry tomatoes and broccoli florets all keep well).
4. Yogurt – Yogurt is the gift that keeps on giving, providing Calcium and, in many cases, fruits. Opt for a low-fat Greek yogurt and make sure to check the labels before buying – though many are called Greek yogurt, they’re still loaded with sugars (sometimes as high as 24 grams in a serving!). Chobani is a great high protein option located at Woolworths or Coles. If you can’t find a fruit option with low sugar content (no more than six-seven grams per serving), opt for plain. Top it off with a natural, no sugar added muesli and fresh fruit for a well-rounded meal any time of day.
Staying healthy on the go doesn’t have to be impossible, require Instagram-worthy plating, or take tons of time. Keep it simple and you’ll keep it achievable – this month and the next 11 that follow.